Listed as a historical monument, the Château de Fargues is characteristic of the military architecture of the late Middle Ages and the early Renaissance, but it is above all a moving witness to a part of the family history of the Lur Saluces.
Built in 1306 by Cardinal Raymond Guilhem de Fargues, nephew of Pope Clement V, the castle entered the family Lur Saluces from 1472. Its situation dominates the valley of the Garonne and its solid walls testify to the power of this ancient seigniory, where the inhabitants of the city of Langon took refuge during the wars of religion or the period of the Fronde.
Originally, dwellings, cellars and gardens surrounded the fortress. Around it, the daily work is organized between the breeding and the exploitation of the forests. The polyculture of the time is still a particularity of the domain. The work of the vine, minority in Fargues, was then an activity among others and the wine a daily drink, without commercial ambition.
A terrible fire in 1687 rendered the house unusable and the family was forced into exile. A terrible fire in 1687 rendered the house unusable and the family was forced into exile. Alexandre de Lur Saluces undertakes, in 1968, the consolidation of the monument and give it back its ancestral majesty. In 2008, major restoration work made the third part of the building usable. Today, 9 restored rooms are used for visits or occasional events.